It all begins with Hennie Basson.
Originally from Paarl, Hennie obtained his LLB degree in 1986 at the University of Stellenbosch. After completing his articles, he began working as a professional assistant at the firm Basson Steyn Coetzee, a firm that was originally founded by his father, Dan Basson. When finally confronted with the decision of either accepting a partnership position or breaking away on his own, Hennie chose to venture out to establish his own practice. The doors of Basson Prokureurs opened in 1990 in a beautifully preserved Victorian building, located at 371 Main Road, Paarl. The firm saw humble beginnings with a personnel consisting of Hennie, a secretary and his mother, Christine Basson, who doubled up as bookkeeper and tea lady.
In 1992 Basson Prokureurs experienced a significant increase in business, which prompted Hennie to contact his varsity friend, Deon Blackburn. Having established a life-long friendship during their days at Dagbreek, Deon's involvement quickly progressed from weekend-helping-hand to becoming a partner in 1993. Once the firm was incorporated, Deon was made director of the then 'Basson & Vennote'. Soon after, Basson Blackburn Inc. was established and the team worked side by side until 16 April 2003, when Hennie tragically died of a heart attack.
Building on the strength of their friendship and the firm's well-established reputation, Deon continued to build this typical country practice into a 30-employee strong, dynamic firm that now offers the following specialised services:
- Labour law /
- All aspects pertaining to commercial law /
- Land rights with specific reference to evictions /
- Collections and advice pertaining to credit legislation /
- All aspects pertaining to conveyancing, offering a presence on the majority of the panels of trading banks /
- Basson Blackburn Inc. is also the only firm in the Paarl area that serves on the Absa Commercial Property Finance panel. This department is managed by Linka Slabber, who is very capable in the field of conveyancing, with exceptional experience in developments.
- Estate planning, trusts, administration of deceased estates and advice pertaining to empowering structures. Hester Blackburn joined the firm in 2008 to head up this department, bringing along 18 years of service as senior manager at PriceWaterhouseCoopers.